A Brief History of the Pub
The Bent Arms is a pub and B&B in Lindfield, West Sussex and it is one of Lindfield's old coaching inns with a history that extends back to the 17th century.
It was named after the Bent family who arrived in Lindfield in 1815. They bought The White Lion Inn in 1827, and shortly afterwards changed its name to The Bent Arms. The Bent Arms was earlier known as Wichelo’s and then the White Lion .
The Bent family also gave their name to Bents Wood and Bentswood Road in Haywards Heath.
When Edward VII made an official visit to Lindfield, he lunched at the Bent Arms.
In 1920 the pub was badly damaged by fire and the exceptionally brave work of a firefighter named Fred Nye saved its roof.